University stands for humanism and tolerance, for reason, for adventure of
ideas and for the search of truth. It stands for the forward march of the
human race towards even higher objectives. If the universities discharge
their duties adequately then it is well with the nation and the people.
First Prime Minister of India
These words of
embody in them the guiding principle of Savitribai Phule Pune University. Established in
1949, the University has since become one of the leading centers for
research and teaching in the country. The 411 acre campus is located in the
North Western part of Pune. The placid environs and state of the art
facilities provide it's numerous students with an ideal atmosphere to pursue
research in various areas of Science, Arts, Commerce and Languages. The
University houses 40 departments which provide a wide array of academic
programs. Though a young centre, the University has made a significant
impact in various areas of research and teaching, and continues to strive
The Savitribai Phule Pune University
(formerly known as University
of Poona) was established on 10th February 1949 under the Poona University Act, passed by the
Bombay Legislature in 1948. In the same year, Dr. M. R.
Jayakar assumed office as the first vice chancellor of the University.
Shri B.G.Kher, Chief Minister and Education Minister, Govt. of Bombay, took
a keen interest in setting apart a beautiful campus for the University. As a
result of his efforts, a campus extending over 411 acres was allocated to
the University in early 1949, on lease of 999 years without any premium and payment of nominal lease rent of ₹ One per annum. Payment of certain taxes such as N.A. Tax etc have also been waived.
Initially the University had a
jurisdiction extending over 12 districts of Western Maharashtra.
However, with the establishment of the Shivaji University, Kolhapur, in
1964, the jurisdiction of the University was restricted to 5 districts,
namely Pune, Ahmednagar, Nasik, Dhule and Jalgaon. Out of these, two
districts - Dhule and Jalgaon are attached to the North Maharashtra
University established in August 1990.
During the year 1949, there were only 18
colleges affiliated to the University,
with an enrollment of over 8000 students. Thereafter, the number of colleges
increased, and in 1994-95, the University had 41 post-graduate departments,
209 affiliated colleges and 118 recognized research institutions, with an
enrollment of 1,70,000 students for both the under-graduate and
post-graduate courses in different faculties.
70 research institutions have been
recognized by the University for research.
These include institutions of national importance like the National Chemical
Laboratory (NCL), MACS, CWPRS, NIV, Gokhale Institute of Politics and
Economics, Deccan College among others.
Since its inception, the progress of the Savitribai Phule Pune University has been
inextricably linked with the efforts of an illustrious list of Vice